Electronic Prescription Service
What is the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS)?
EPS is an NHS-funded service in England. It gives you the chance to change how your GP sends your prescription to the healthcare professional you choose to get your medication or appliances from.
What does this mean for you?
- If you currently collect your repeat prescriptions from your GP, you will not have to visit your GP practice to pick up your paper prescription. Instead, your GP will send it electronically to the pharmacy, saving you time
- You can choose where to get your medication from because it can be collected from a pharmacy near where you live, work or shop
- You may also not have to wait as long at the pharmacy as there will be more time for your repeat prescriptions to be prepared
YES – if you have a stable condition and you:
- Don’t want to go to your GP practice every time to collect your repeat prescription
- Collect your medicines from the same place most of the time
- Already use a prescription collection service
NO – if you:
- Don’t get prescriptions very often
- Pick up your medicines from different places
- Travel or work away from home a lot
How can you use EPS?
You need to choose where you want your GP to send your electronic prescription. This is called ‘nomination’. You can choose:
- A pharmacy
- A dispensing appliance contractor (if you use one)
Can I change my pharmacy nomination or cancel it and get a paper prescription?
Yes you can. Nomination is very flexible and can be changed or cancelled at any time. You can do this by either:
- Asking a member of staff at any pharmacy or dispensing appliance contractor that offers the service
- Asking a member of staff at your GP practice
- Tell them before your prescription is due or your prescription might be sent to the wrong place
- You don’t have to use nomination on every occasion. If you don’t wish to, you should let your GP practice know that you require a paper prescription
Please contact your surgery or preferred pharmacy to set a nomination or you can click here to download this information including a nomination form.
Click here to read the nomination guidelines